Saturday, May 16, 2009

Ghosts in This House


Death of The Dream: Classic Minnesota Farmhouses by William Gabler is both interesting and sad. He chronicles the demise of farmhouses in black and white photographs. I found myself wondering what memories linger between their walls.


How many generations sat in the kitchen? Did they lose a son in World War II? What nationality were the original owners? Who were the last people to live in the house?


Abandoned barns standing all alone have the same effect on me. I'm watching history disappear before my eyes. I just don't understand why Americans are so quick to get rid of the old. In Europe barns, houses and historic places go back hundreds and hundreds of years and we are so quick to tear ours down.


Why is that?


(picture of my sister and cousin in front of our farmhouse)

No comments: