Saturday, May 30, 2009

Disappointment

I found two stores on-line that sell my mom's favorite bookcases. They are fairly sturdy, easily moved and come all in one piece. The shelves are on hinges and fold up flat when not in use.

After comparing prices & shipping I happily ordered two since they were on sale. Anticipation mounted as the day of their arrival neared. Wednesday -the boxes arrived in pretty rough shape. I moved them into the living room and carefully opened the box and slid the shelf out.

Ohhhhhhhh. A groan slipped out. The wood had split where the hinges were - making it totally useless. "Maybe I can fix it" crossed my mind but then I thought "why should I settle for a repair job when I paid for a new one."
Perhaps the second one is alright. But it was in worse shape. It looked like someone had taken a sledge hammer to the support bars.

Oh the disappointment!! I was upset with the delivery service and then with myself for ordering on-line instead of just driving to a store to pick them up.

Luckily, I did have a trip to a bigger town planned so I didn't have to deal with the hassle of shipping them back. To the store they went and the company refunded my money since the bookcases weren't in stock like I had hoped.

Now I'm back to stacking my books on the floor. Don't thing I'll try ordering furniture over the Internet again. But it was such a good deal...

No comments: