After reading it I wonder what kind of an impression it leaves on a high-school English class. For me it left a feeling of sadness and a sense of waste but on reflection there are many lessons to be learned from it.
Some topics that could be discussed:
- How does being vulnerable affect communication?
- Should duty and service be put above love?
- How do ethics play into duty?
- Can lost opportunities be reclaimed?
- What are some areas of idealism that I hold onto?
If you are short on time Emma Thompson and Anthony Hopkins portray the main characters in a movie by the same title. I found I lost some of the butler's thought processes in the movie that you gain in the book but overall its pretty well done.