Thursday, March 20, 2008

Easy Things

A month ago I went to a conference that deals with worldviews, theology, and engaging the culture. Having attended for several years now I am prepared for the after effects… that of feeling very un-educated.

Now some of my friends say I know a lot -- but I know the truth.

I know bits and pieces about a few things on a few subjects. But the speakers at these conferences are much more knowledgeable. Each year I realize again how woefully ignorant I truly am.

So this year I was challenged by one speaker to fight against apathy and the “easy things” and do the “hard things.” He said that we have to make it a priority in our lives or else we default to the world’s standard which is to do only easy things.

Hence, I now own a copy of Dante’s Inferno which I’m going to read. I just don’t know when. :)
When I get that done maybe I’ll try John Milton’s Paradise Lost.
I don’t think I’m up to reading War and Peace.

1 comment:

SML said...

Finally making the rounds to the WftW class blogs! I felt like I was looking in a mirror while reading this post and understand exactly how you feel. But, you're doing the right thing to combat that ignorance. If you can find room for one more book on your "need more bookshelves", try "When Life and Beliefs Collide" by Carolyn Custis James. I just started it, but it's a fascinating look at how theology is important, specifically for women. She uses Mary of Bethany as an example. Keep learning and growing!

Blessings,
Sondra
http://dim-reflections.blogspot.com/